Anyone who knows me well will tell you I love corn. That is no understatement. Think I’m exaggerating? Here’s a few examples of my affection for the sweet juicy grain that may change your mind:
- I buy corn at the farmer’s market way before others call it “in season” because I’m too excited to wait.
- I eat corn just about every day it’s in season.
- Every year I save a vacation day to spend entirely “putting up” my aunt’s crop of corn so I can have it in the freezer all year. (“Corn Day!”)
- I’ve been accused of eating corn for breakfast (If you’d bet on that accusation being true, you’d win).
- I agree with my cousin when he says “It’s not a holiday without baked corn”.
- Corn is often a lunch or light supper in my family’s house during the summer.
I think you get the picture. With all my experience with corn, it’s only right of me to share some of the great recipes I create that feature it.
Today I created this delicious dish. I served it as a main dish for a light lunch with a best friend and was special enough to use my china. But it could also be a star at a breakfast brunch with some crusty bread and fruit or as a special side dish for a family meal.
This casserole is easy to make and is the perfect combination in my book of the creamy textures and savory taste the spinach and soft onions present and the sweet crispness of the corn.
Corn and Spinach Casserole
- 2 cups – sweet corn (fresh is best)
- 2 cups – chopped spinach (frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 cup – sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/2 t – salt
- 1 T – butter, melted
- 1 T – sugar
- 1 T – corn meal (or flour)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup – milk (I use skim)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together corn, spinach, onion, butter, salt, pepper to your liking, sugar, and corn meal/flour and stir to combine well.
- Beat the eggs. Add milk. Add this mixture to the corn mix and stir to combine.
- Pour the casserole in a baking dish sprayed with vegetable or olive oil (any size will do – 9 x 9, 9 x 13, quiche dishes, ramekins in a water bath, etc.)
- Bake for 50 minutes until the casserole is solid.
- Serve warm and enjoy!